There are so many salads out there and there are tons and tons of recipes for it. But nothing like this, Vietnamese noodle salad – Bun Thit Nuong.
It’s also a brilliant menu for a crowd, because you just throw everything as family style and guests will make they own bowl of salad! Makes everybody happy! ^_^ If you’re tired of ordinary BBQ party, this is what you need to try!! It’s an amazing BBQ idea that everybody will talk about until next summer!!
Warning: People are going to bother you a lot to do more of these, so be prepared!! lol
On the table, it looks like you did lots lots of work, but not really. 🙂 That’s why it’s so perfect meal for the crowds in summer time, WOW the guests and take all the credit! They don’t need to know how easy it was.
As I said on the video, the vegetables are totally up to you, but I recommend to have some crunch leaves, and different kind of herbs. Cilantro, mint and Thai basil is classic combination. You and add some perilla leaf or authentic greens as you like.
Pickled radish and carrot recipe is right here – http://seonkyounglongest.com/?p=1388
This is one of best BBQ marinate sauces I’ve ever made, because it’s very simple but packed of flavor! Even though you’re not interested in making this noodles salad, this meat itself is worth to try. It’s too good to miss out!
- 1 lb. country style boneless pork ribs, thinly sliced into bite sizes
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 lemongrass, only tender part, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sweet soy sauce
- 3 Tablespoons all natural coconut water(no sugar added)
- 1 Tablespoon palm sugar
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 16 oz. rice vermicelli noodles
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil (if you are stir fry the meat, if you are grilling you don't need it)
- Flavored fish sauce(Recipe follow)
- Pickled radish and carrots
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, ripped with hands into bite sizes
- Handful of fresh cilantro
- Handful of fresh Thai basil
- Handful of fresh mint
- Handful of bean sprouts
- Slice cucumbers
- More of your choice of vegetables
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts, chopped and then roast one more time until nice golden brown for more deeper flavor.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine pork and next 8 ingredients, set aside and let it marinate for 30 minutes to over night.
- Mean while, prepare rice vermicelli noodles by following the direction of the package you are using. Rinse with cold water and drain.
- Heat a wok over high heat; add 1 Tablespoon coconut oil and half of marinated pork. (we are cooking batches for nicely browned pork) Cook it until it's nice brown and bit charred about 5 minutes. Repeat with another half of pork and now you are ready to serve and assemble!
- Serve noodles, vegetables, pork, sauce, pickled radish and carrots and roasted peanuts as family style.
- To assemble a bowl; in a serving bowl, place a handful of noodles, small amount of each vegetables and pickled radish and carrot. Place pork on top. Sprinkle with double roasted peanuts about 1 Tablespoon and pour flavored fish sauce on top, about 2 Tablespoons each bowls. Enjoy with ice cold beer!
This classic Vietnamese flavored fish sauce served with lots of Vietnamese dishes so it’s very good idea to make double or triple of the recipe and keep it in the refrigerator if you love Vietnamese food. In the video I used lime juice, but you can use lemon juice or white vinegar instead. It’s really up to you, what you prefer. I use whatever I feel like that day. ^_^
- 3 Tablespoons fish sauce
- Fresh juice from 1½ lime or lemon
- ½ Tablespoon palm sugar
- 1 garlic, chopped
- 1 Thai chili chopped
- Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and keep it in a refrigerator until you are ready to use.
If you don’t care pork? There are more than enough variations!! Use same marinate sauce, just substitute pork to……
Bun Cha Gio Thit Nuong: add a deep-fried imperial rolls to the top of the dish with BBQ pork.
Bun Bo Nuong: BBQ beef
Bun Ga Nuong: BBQ chicken
Bun Tom Nuong: BBQ shirmp
I hope you enjoy my recipe and try it out sometime soon!! ^_^