- 3/4 cup sweet potato starch or potato starch, plus 1 tsp for later
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite sizes
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- Frying oil
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 5 to 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 oz ginger, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 small size onion, small diced
- 2 red chili or 1/3 red bell pepper, seeded and small diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and small diced
- In a large mixing bowl, place sweet potato starch, level evenly. Slowly pour water along side of mixing bowl carefully, about 1” above. Let it sit while preparing other ingredients, just make sure not to move around.
- Combine chicken, soy sauce, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Let chicken marinate for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine soy sauce, oyster sauce, mirin, sugar, vinegar, starch and black pepper in a small mixing bowl, set aside.
- Preheat frying oil to 350°F.
When water and starch separated completely, water should be very clean and starch is sunk down on bottom of bowl. Very carefully, pour out only water and keep soaked starch for batter.
- Breakdown soaked starch with your hand or a spoon. Add marinated chicken and mix them well with your hand. Batter feels probably very strange than what we used to, but trust me, this is the texture we want! Carefully drop one piece of chicken at a time into preheated frying oil. Make sure chicken don’t stick to each others and not crowed pot. Do 2 to 3 batches as needed. Fry chicken until it’s full cooked, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove chicken from oil and place on a baking pan lined with cooling rack. Repeat with rest of chicken.
- Increase frying oil temperature to 375°F. Add all of fried chicken for second fry. Fry them until golden brown and crispy, about 2 minutes. Remove chicken from oil and place on a baking pan lined with cooling rack.
- Heat a large wok over high heat, add cooking oil, garlic, ginger, green onion and onion. Stir fry until you can smell aroma, about 30 seconds. Now add red pepper and jalapeño, stir fry for 1 minute. Stir sauce mixture with a spoon, before add into wok because starch sunk down on bottom of bowl. Pour sauce mixture into wok, stir and boil for 1 minute. Toss in fried chicken then remove from heat and garnish with sesame seeds. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 minutes