- 10 cups Cold water
- 4 Cloves garlic, 2 are smashed, 2 are whole
- 3 Green onions, 2 cut into halves, 1 chopped for garnish
- 1 Samgyetang herbal ingredient kit or 1 medium size ginseng root and 3 jujubes
- 2 lb. Whole young chicken or 2 cornish hens
- 1/3 cup Sweet rice, rinsed and soaked in cold water for 1 hour, drained
- 1Tbs. Sea salt
- 1 tsp. Black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Toasted sesame seeds, smashed with fingers
- In a large pot, add water, 2 smashed garlic, 2 green onions that cut into halves and Samgyetang herbal ingredients. Cover, bring it to boil and reduce heat to medium low, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, let’s prepare chicken. Trim some fat on edge of chicken and wing tips with kitchen scissors.
- Stuff chicken with 2 whole garlic cloves and sweet rice. It should be stuffed only 3/4 amount.
Close openings with skewers or strings.
- Place stuffed chicken into simmering broth with breast side up. Cover, increase heat to high; bring it to boil and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 1 hour or until chicken is fully cooked and tender.
- Transfer to a serving bowl both chicken and soup. Garnish with chopped green onion and serve with dipping salt.
To Make Porridge with Leftover Samgyetang
- Take leftover meats from chicken bones and take solid ingredients out from broth. Add 1 cup to 2 cups of cold sweet or stick rice (depending on how much soup’s left..) and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Constantly stirring to prevent a burnt bottom.
Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped green onion, sesame seeds and sesame oil.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 mins