I inspired this caramelized lemongrass pork meatballs flavor from Vietnamese caramelized pork. It is something very unique and different, yet super YUM! Again, the chili is optional (not optional for me! lol) so if you want tot make this mild, you can definitely omit the chili.
For The Meatballs
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbs chopped garlic (approximately 3 cloves garlic)
- 2 Tbs chopped lemongrass (approximately 1/2 lemongrass)
- 1/4 cup chopped shallot (approximately 1 small shallot)
- 1 tsp chopped Thai chili (approximately 2 Thai chili)
- 1/2 cup panic bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
For The Sauce
- 3 Tbs sugar
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 Tbs fish sauce
- cilantro leaves (You can also use mint leaves/chopped green onion)
- sliced Thai chili
- Preheat oven over 400 degrees.
In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for meatball with your hand. Scoop out 1 Tablespoon amount of pork mixture and roll it between your palms.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and repeat with rest of pork mixture. Make sure meatballs are at least 1-inch a part from each others.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until meatballs are fully cooked. Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle sugar evenly on a cold large skillet. Turn on heat to medium heat and let sugar to melt and turn into brown color.
- Before sugar turning into too dark brown, quickly add butter, warm water and fish sauce. Stir everything together.
- Reduce heat to low and toss in meatballs. Make sure every meatballs are coated evenly with sauce. Garnish with cilantro leaves and Thai chili slices.
You can make meatballs ahead. Just keep baked meatballs in a airtight container and keep in a refrigerator up to 3 to 5 days. When you are ready to enjoy it, just make the sauce and heat meatballs in the sauce. In this case, wrap cold meatballs in a aluminum foil and heat heat it in 350 degrease oven for 3 to 5 minutes. You can also use microwave, if you prefer. (Do not wrap in aluminum foil if you are using microwave.)