- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 4 tbsp sugar, divided half
- 2 tbsp avocado, vegetable or canola oil
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (use blenched flour if you want complete white buns)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Combine warm water, milk, active yeast, sugar and oil. Whisk to let yeast and sugar to dissolve then let it sit until years activate, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a stand mixer. You could make with your hand too if you prefer.
- Pour the wet ingredients to dry ingredients mixture. Start on a low speed to slowly incorporate all the ingredients together then on medium speed until it becomes a dough shape. Keep kneed for 3 to 4 minutes on medium speed. The dough should be elastic and really soft but not stick to your fingers or on the mixing bowl.
- Take the dough out form the hook and form as a ball. Place back to the mixing bowl, cover with a plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place until it becomes triple size, about 2 hours. Let it sit longer if needed.
- Place the raised dough on a working surface. Roll out the dough 1/4-inch thick. Sprinkle four is not necessary but if you do, use as minimum as possible.Cut the dough 3 1/2-inch circle with a ring mold or glass (I used a wine glass). This recipe will make 14 o 16 baos.
- Lightly brush or spray oil on one surface of the baos and fold in half as a half moon shape. Gently press each bao with a roller and place on a parchment paper or coffee filter lined steamer. Cover with a lid and let it rest for additional 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring water to boil on a wok or steamer pot. Carefully place the steamer with the baos on top of boiling water wok/pot. Make sure water is not touching the baos. Cover and steam for 8 to 12 minutes. When they are done cooking, tilt the lid tiny bit for a slow air circulation about 2 to 3 minutes before open the lid. Spray some water on coffee filter to prevent the dough from sticking. You can serve this bao as a side or make sandwich! Enjoy!
Keywords: Bao, Bao Buns, Steamed Buns