This is the best chili oil recipe you can find online!
- 1 tbsp sichuan peppercorns, optional
- 1 cup avocado, vegetable, canola or peanut oil – divided
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp toban djan, Chinese chili bean sauce
- 1/2 cup red pepper flakes for mild version or Thai chili flakes for spicy version
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- small pinch of Chinese five spices, optional
- 1 tsp msg, optional
- Toast sichuan pepper corn on a dry wok or pan for 45 seconds to 1 minute over medium heat. Grind with mortar and pestle or coffee/spice grinder to fine but still a little coarse powder. Set aside.
- Heat a wok over medium low to medium low heat, add 1/4 cup of oil and chopped shallot. Stir fry the shallot for 4 to 5 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Add soy sauce around edge of the wok, so it will give nice smokey flavor. Also add toban djan at this point. Stir fry the sauce and shallot mixture for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add remaining oil, red pepper flakes, sugar, salt, Chinese five spices, msg and sichuan pepper corn. Stir and cook for additional 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool then store in an air tight container. Keep it in a room temperature is fine and it will last 15 days. Enjoy!
If you want more oil, you can add additional 1/2 cup more oil to this recipe.