- 2 1/2 lb. beef short ribs, possible 1 1/2-inch thick
- 1 1/2 lb. Korean radish, moo or daikon
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1 medium size yellow onion
- thumb size ginger
- 3 to 6 green onion, plus more for garnish
- 15 cups cold water
- 5 oz. Dangmyeon, Korean glass noodles (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. fish sauce
- 1/2 to 1 Tbs. sea salt
- extra salt and pepper to serve with
- Bring a large pot of water to boil; add beef short ribs and blench them for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash all your vegetables throughly. Peel and cut edges off from korean radish, cut garlic bulb in halves, cut edges off from onion(leave skin), slice ginger and cut green onion in halves.
- Drain and rinse beef ribs under cold water with wiping action, set aside. Also quickly wash your pot, so we don’t have to use 2 pots for this recipe. 😉
- In now-clean-pot, place blenched ribs, all of prepared vegetables and 15 cups cold water. Bring it boil over high heat without cover. Skim sums and fat as needed. (I like to use my very fine skimmer, it’s very convenient when you’re making Asian soups)
- Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Right now (when you put soup into simmer) is perfect timing to soak Korean glass noodles in warm water, so they will soften during soup is simmering.
- After 2 hours, turn of heat and take all vegetables out. You can discard all vegetables except radish, because we are going to serve radish in Galbitang. Take most of little bits bottom of pot by using skimmer if you are using to make Galbitang as clean as possible.
- Season Galbitang with soy sauce, fish sauce and sea salt to taste.
- Slice cooked radish into bite sizes and chop 1 to 2 fresh green onions for garnish.
- Let’s assemble Galibtang.
Bring Galbitang back to boil. In a serving bowl, place soften glass noodles if you prepared, and place sliced radishes. Pour ribs and soup into serving bowl. Your soup must be boiling while you are pouring into serving bowl, to be able to cook glass noodles properly. Garnish with green onion and black pepper and serve with a small bowl of salt and pepper mixture, a bowl of warm rice and kimchi if you like.