- 3 litters (12 1/2 cups) cold water
- 2 cups apple sider
- 1 cup soy sauce, recommended Korean soy sauce
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 green onions
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 ginger slices
- 1 garlic bulb, cut into halves
- 10 to 12 lb Turkey
- 1 Tbs garlic powder
- 1 Tbs onion powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbs melted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbs soy sauce, recommended Korean soy sauce
- 1 Tbs rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs cold water
- 5 to 6 celery stalks
- In a large pot, combine all ingredients for brine except turkey; bring it to boil and cool it completely. Place turkey in a brine bag or 2.5 gallon hefty bag and pour cooled brine liquid including solid ingredients. Close tightly and place in a largest mixing bowl you have or in a roasting pan that can fit in your refrigerator. This much liquid, you never know what’s gonging to happen. Brine turkey 16 to 24 hours in a refrigerator.
- Preheat oven 450 degrees.
Combine all ingredients for rub, and set aside.
- Take turkey out form brine liquid and place on a baking sheet or working surface. Cut along both sides of back bone from one end of turkey to other with a pair of strong kitchen scissors. Remove back bone. You can use back bone for gravy, if you are making one.
- Place turkey cut side down and flat out legs, left and right. Now, with both of your hands, push down top of breastbone with your weight until you hear cracks. Now your turkey should lays flat. Tuck wing tips under turkey breast.
- Rub turkey with mixture we made earlier all over turkey both side. If you want, push through rub under breast skin. Place celery stalks under turkey to create “celery rack”. You can use cooling rack instead if you prefer.
- Roast turkey in preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes. In half way, cover turkey with aluminum foil and rotate 90 degrees. To check doneness of turkey, insert thermometer into thickest part of breast and it should reaches 150°F or into thickest portion of hight registers 165°F.
- Remove from oven and let it rest, loosely covered with foil for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make glaze. In a sauce pan, add all ingredients for glaze. Bring it to boil, reduce heat and simmer until sugar has dissolved, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- You can glaze turkey from here, and carve. Serve with your favorite gravy and other side dishes. Or add turkey juice from roasted turkey and whisk. Carve turkey and serve “glaze sauce” on the side. Enjoy!