For Marinate Chicken
- 1 1/2 lb chicken thighs, cut into bite size
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbs rice wine
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/2 tsp ginger, grated
- Frying oil
- 1/3 cup tempura powder
- 3 Tbs cold water
- 6 oz Korean rice cake, cut into bite size
- 2 tsp gochujang, Korean red pepper paste
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbs strawberry jam (you can substitute with any fruit jam/jelly)
- 2 Tbs ketchup
- 1 1/2 Tbs worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbs sesame seed
- Combine all ingredients for marinate chicken in an medium-large mixing bow; cover with a plastic wrap and let it marinate in a refrigerator at least 20 minutes to overnight.
- Heat frying oil to 350 degrees F. (approximately over medium high heat.)
Add tempura powder and 3 Tbs water into chicken and mix well with your hand.
- Drop chicken into hot oil one piece at a time, carefully. Fry chicken until fully cooked, but not golden brown yet, about 5 to 7 minutes. (We are double fry chicken.) Remove chicken from oil and place on a cooling rack or paper towel lined baking sheet. Do two batches if needed.
- Increase oil temperature to 370 degrees F. (approximately over high heat.)
Fry chicken once again this time, we are trying to get nice golden brown color on chicken. It will take about 2 to 4 minutes. No need to do two batches, but if your deep-frying pan is small, you might have to do two batches again. Remove chicken from oil and place on a cooling rack or paper towel lined baking sheet.
- Reduce oil temperature to 300 degrees F. (approximately over medium heat.)
Now, let’s fry rice cakes. Make sure your oil temperature doesn’t go up more than 320 degrees F. Also frying rice cake only for 2 minutes, not any longer. If you don’t follow this directions, chances are hot rice cake popping in your kitchen. Remove rice cake from oil and place on a cooling rack or paper towel lined baking sheet.
- In a large skillet, combine all ingredients for sauce and bring it to simmer over medium heat. Let it keep simmer until sauce has reduced and thicken, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Toss in fried chicken and rice cake. Keep tossing on heat until chicken and rice cake coated evenly with sauce.
- Finally toss in sesame seeds and give it a last good mix. There shouldn’t be any sauce running on pan any more.
- Serve on a cup or a little bowl, that feels like take away food container. Sprinkle some more sesames seeds to garnish and enjoy!!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins