For the Sauce
- 2 Tbsp warm water
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp gochugaru, Korean red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp gochujang, Korean red pepper paste
- 1 Tbsp rice syrup, honey or sugar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp chunjang, black bean paste
For the Vegetables and Toppings
- 4 oz cabbage, sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 small carrot, julienne
- 4 oz fish cake, cut into bite sizes
- 6 oz rice cake
- 4 oz Jjolmyeon, Korean chewy noodles or Dangmyeon, Korean glass noodles
- 1 pack of ramyon sari, Korean instant ramen noodles
- 8 to 10 fried or frozen mandu or dumplings
- 5 cups chicken stock
- cold cooked rice & gim (Optional for the fried rice)
- Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a small mixing bowl and set aside. This sauce can be made a day or a week ahead and it will taste better day goes by!
- Soak the tteok, the rice cake in hot water for 20 minutes or longer.
- In a wide shallow pot, place cabbage, onion and carrot first. Then place fish cake and rice cake. If you put rice cake first on the bottom of the pot, it will stick to it! Then jjolmyeon noodles, ramen and pour the sauce we made earlier. Lastly, put dumplings right on top and carefully pour the chicken stock.
- Most of the time, jeukseok tteokbokki is served on the table and eat as it’s cooking! So bring the original tteokbokki (jeukseok tteokbokki) pot to the table with portable gas stove. Bring the soup to boil and reduce heat to medium. Let it simmer about 5 minutes or until noodles are fully cooked. Stir as needed.
- Start eating the ramen noodles and fish cake first while it’s still simmering over medium low heat. Then finally you can enjoy the rice cake and everything else! Control the heat as you go.
- When are about to done and finished, it’s time to make fried rice with the leftover sauce! So increase heat to medium high and add cold rice and gim into the pot. Stir fry until rice’s coated evenly with the sauce and spread evenly on the bottom of the pot. Let it sizzle a couple of minutes to create slightly burnt crispy bottom. Now, turn off the heat and enjoy!