Shrimp chow mein. Who can say no to this?! Scrumptious Chow Mein made at home!
For the Shrimp
- 12 oz peeled and deveined U10 shrimp (You can use different size, just adjust cooking time)
- 1 tbsp shaoxing wine or rice wine
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
For the Sauce
For Stir Fry
- 3 tbsp cooking oil (vegetable, canola, peanut or avocado oil)
- 3 to 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 oz ginger, very thinly julienne
- 1 red chili, seeds removed and julienne (optional)
- 2 oz shiitake mushrooms or any of your favorite mushrooms (approximately 2 large shiitake), sliced
- 4 oz baby bok choy, cut into half or quarters as needed (approximately 2 to 4 baby bok choy)
- 4 oz bamboo shoots, 1/4” sliced
- 10 to 12 oz ready-to-use egg noodles or spaghetti cooked al dente and drained
- handful beansprouts
- 3 green onions, cut in halves lengthwise then into 2” long pieces
- sesame oil
- sesame seeds
- Combine shrimp, shaoxing wine and black pepper in a mixing bowl and set aside. If you don’t want to consume alcohol, just skip this part.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk all ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat and add 1 tbsp cooking oil. Swirl to coat then add shrimp. Spread shrimp evenly and sear them 30 sends to 1 minute each sides depending on the size of the shrimp. Turn off the heat, remove the shrimp from the wok and place on a plate. Set aside.
- Heat now-empty-wok over high heat, add remaining 2 tbsp cooking oil. Add chopped garlic, ginger and chili. Stir fry until you can smell the beautiful aromas, about 30 to 45 seconds.
- Add mushrooms, bok choy and bamboo shoots. Stir fry until vegetables are soften, about 1 minute.
- Add noodles and the sauce mixture. Stir fry until noodles soaked up the delicious flavors from the sauce and no moisture in the bottom of the work, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add beansprouts, green onions and cooked shrimps. Stir fry everything together until last 3 ingredients are warmed up, about 1 minute.
- Transfer to a serving plate and drizzle some sesame oil and sprinkle some sesame seeds. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 6 minutes