For The Chicken Marinade
- 6 chicken thighs, bone-less and skin-less
- 3 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped (approximately 1 1/2 Tbsp)
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
For the Dressing
- 4 Tbsp fish sauce
- 3 Tbsp palm sugar, honey or pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- 2 limes, plus more to taste
For the Salad
- A bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- A bunch mint, leaves picked
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 4 green onions 1/4-inch chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber, half-moon sliced
- 1 1/2 to 3 Tbsp Thai chili flakes
- 2 Tbsp roasted rice powder (See note)
- Combine all the ingredients for the chicken marinade in a mixing bowl or a plastic air tight bag. Marinate chicken at least 1 hour to overnight.
- Add all ingredients for the dressing in a measuring cup or a glass jar. Whisk until it’s well combined. Taste the dressing if it’s perfect to your taste. Add more fish sauce for saltiness, sweetness for palm sugar and sourness for lime juice to your taste. Add freshly chopped Thai chili, if you want super spicy! Set aside. You can keep this dressing in a refrigerator for 7 days.
- Grill the chicken for 4 to 5 minutes each side or until nicely charred outside and juicy yet fully cooked inside. Let it rest for 3 to 5 minutes then cut into bite sizes.
- Now, if you are serving the whole thing at once, in a large mixing bowl, add all the vegetables for the salad, grilled chicken, chili flakes and roasted rice powder. Drizzle the dressing and the juice from the plate where grilled chicken was resting. It’s all flavor!! Toss away until well combined.
- Garnish with some more roasted rice powder. Serve with any side dishes you’d like to enjoy. I love just digging in to the salad with ice cold beer, but sticky rice or warm cooked jasmine rice will go amazingly with the salad too!
- You can also keep the ingredients – the grilled chicken, the dressing and the veggies -separately and enjoy anytime you’re ready!
You can make the roasted rice powder ahead. Pour 1/4 cup of uncooked (raw and dry) jasmine or sticky rice in a dry pan and roast them until evenly golden brown over medium to medium low heat for 12 to15 minutes. Grind by using a set of pestle and mortar. Keep the rest in a airtight container, in a fridge.
- Cook Time: 12 mins