For the Spices
- 5 star anise
- 1 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 2 Saigon cinnamon sticks or regular cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamon or 1 to 2 whole black cardamom
For the Broth
- 1 large onion (approximately 1 lb), peeled and cut in half
- 1 large ginger (approximately 2 oz), cut into half
- 6 green onion roots, optional
- 1 lb Korean radish or carrot, cut into large chunks
- 1 lb green cabbage
- 3 to 5 cilantro root or cilantro stems
16 cups cold water
- 2 tbsp mushroom soy sauce or regular soy sauce
- 3 tbsp yondu, vegetable fermented sauce, or fish sauce substitute
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 to 3 tsp salt
- 1 lb fried tofu or extra firm tofu, sliced
- 12 oz beech, oyster, or/and shiitake mushrooms, sliced
To Make a Bowl & Serve
- Thin rice noodles
- Lemon, lime or calamansi
- Sliced serrano or jalapeno
- Thai basil
- Chopped cilantro
- Chopped green onion
- Sliced red onion
- Hoisin sauce
- Chili oil
Toast all spices in a dry skillet over medium-high heat to release its aroma, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
In same skillet, place onion and ginger. Roast them over high heat, until their surfaces are blackened, charred, and oozing its juice, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat, set side.
In a large pot, add toasted spices (I recommend using a teabag if you have one), roasted onion, and ginger. Also add green onion roots radish, cabbage, cilantro root, and pour cold water. Cover, bring it to a boil over high heat then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, cook your rice noodles by following directions of package you’re using. When rice noodles are cooked, strain, rinse under room temp water, and let it air dry for 20 to 30 minutes.
On a small plate, arrange beansprouts, lime, sliced chili, and Thai basil to serve with pho.
When broth is ready, remove all solid ingredients from broth and season with mushroom soy sauce, Yondu, sugar, and salt. Add fried tofu and mushrooms to broth. Bring it to boil over medium-high heat to cook mushrooms and tofu then remove from heat.
Let’s assemble! In a bowl, add cooked rice noodles, sprinkle with some chopped cilantro, green onion, and sliced red onion. Then pour broth with tofu and mushrooms. Serve with sriracha, hoisin sauce, chili oil, and a veggie plate. Enjoy!
- Cook Time: 1 hour