- 2 bulbs of garlic, cut into halves (approximately 20 cloves of garlic)
- 3 to 4 large slices ginger
- 2 large leek, cut into halves in lengthwise and washed well
- 10 to 12 oz Korean radish or carrot
- 10”x10” dried kelp
- 10 to 12 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 18 cups water
- 1 tsp msg or salt
For Miso Tare
For Toppings & Noodles
- 3 king oyster or your choice of mushrooms, sliced into 1/3”
- 2 Tbsp Seonkyoung’s house sauce or sweet soy sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or plant based butter
- 1 can sweet corn
- Pinch of salt
- 4 servings fresh, frozen or dried ramen noodles
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Dried & toasted seaweed/nori
- Fried shallot
- Combine all ingredients except msg or salt for the broth in a large pot. Bring it to a boil over high heat. When it’s boiling remove kelp to prevent a slimy texture in the broth. You can eat them in a salad or with Gochujang like my mom, super good for you! Cover, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make tare and toppings.
Mix all the ingredients for tare and set aside.
Marinate mushrooms in the house sauce or sweet soy sauce for 10 minutes. Heat a grill pan or skillet and cook mushrooms 2 minutes each side or until they have a nice grill mark and are fully cooked. Remove from pan and keep it warm.
- Heat another skillet over medium high heat, add coconut oil, sweet corn and salt. Sauté until corn is warmed, about 2 minutes. Remove from skillet and sweet aside.
- Strain broth through a fine strainer. After strain, keep shiitake & radish on the side, you can eat them as a side dish! Into clean broth, add msg or salt of your choice. Keep it warm.
- Bring another pot of water to a boil and cook ramen noodles. Cook ramen noodles by following directions of package you’re using.
- While noodles are cooking, combine 2 to 3 tbsp tare (I like 3 tbsp but you might like more milder flavor) and 1 1/2 cup of veggie broth, mix. Drain cooked ramen noodles well (extra water will dilute broth and flavor) and add into bowl. Stir noodles so it will coat evenly with broth. Top ramen with grilled mushrooms, sweet corn, chopped green onion, fried shallot and nori. Serve immediately and enjoy!