- Your palm size dried kelp, kombu
- 2 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups rice
For Chojang Sauce
- 4 tbsp gochujang
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/2 lemon or lime (approximately 2 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp raw sugar
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce or a pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 11 oz Vegan sashimi (I used vegan zeastar) or konyak, prepare by blanched in a boiling water
- Handful mixed green
- Handful purple cabbage
- Handful radish sprouts or any sprouts
- Handful julienned carrot
- Handful julienned cucumber
- Handful sliced onion
- Wasabi to taste
- Sesame seeds and seeds
- Add dried kelp into cold water and soak for 30 minutes. Meanwhile wash short to medium grain rice thoroughly until water comes out clean. Drain clean rice and place it in a medium-size pot. Pour kelp water and cover, bring it to boil over high heat then reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes or until rice is fully cooked. Remove from heat, let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rice is cooking, go ahead make Chojang sauce, cut all veggies, and vegan sashimi.
To make chojang, combine all ingredients for chojang sauce in a mixing bowl and set aside. This sauce will last 15 days in a fridge, it tastes even better next day!
Slice or cube vegan sashimi. Prepare all veggies into bite sizes or thinly julienned.
- When rice is done, remove kelp and fluff up rice with a rice spatula, a spoon, or a fork. Keep it warm.
- Let’s assemble Hwe Dupbap!
Place 1 cup of rice on bottom of serving bowl. (Make sure your bowl is big enough to mix all ingredients around.) Arrange vegetables evenly around edge and place vegan sashimi in middle. Serve with Chojang sauce and let your or your guests pour as much as sauce desires! Mix everything together and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes