- 4 tbsp cooking oil (I always use avocado oil), divided
- 1 block (14 oz) of firm tofu, smashed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp smoked paprika or paprika
- 1 tsp India black salt (Kala Namak), optional (You can substitute with regular salt)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- 3 to 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 3 to 5 green onion, chopped, separate white/light green part & dark green part
- 1/4 cup small diced carrot
- 1/4 cup small diced asparagus, green beans or peas
- 3 cups cooked and cold brown or white Jasmin rice (you can substitute with any grain you prefer)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Yondu, Korean fermented vegetable extract, optional
- Pinch of msg, optional
- Sesame seeds
- Heat a large wok or a skillet over high heat, add 2 tbsp cooking oil and swirl to coat. Add smashed tofu, turmeric, smoked paprika, black salt, garlic powder, onion powder and pinch of salt and pepper. Stir fry all together until tofu is coated evenly with seasoning and slightly brown edges, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Rinse wok quickly with hot water to remove turmeric stain. Dry and season it with oil if needed.
- When wok is ready, heat over high heat, add 2 tbsp cooking oil and swirl to coat. Add garlic, ginger and white & light green part of green onion. Stir fry until you can smell beautiful aroma, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add diced carrot and asparagus then stir fry 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add rice along with soy sauce, yondu, msg if you are using it. Make sure to add soy sauce around edge of wok, not directly into rice. This way, some part of soy sauce will burn and create a beautiful smoking flavor into your fried rice. Stir fry rice until every single grain of rice is coated evenly with soy sauce, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat, stir in scrambled tofu and dark part of green onion. Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with sesame seeds and it’s done! You can serve as it is since this fried rice is fully packed with protein, veggies & healthy grain. You can pair with my Orange Chicken-less Cauliflower, Mapo Tofu, Chinese Smashed Cucumber or/and General Tso’s Tofu! Enjoy!
- Cook Time: 8 minutes