- 4 Chicken thighs, boneless, skin on (Approximately 1 lb.)
- 1/2 Stalk of lemongrass (using only bottom white part)
- 4 Cloves garlic
- 2 Thai chili
- 1 Shallot
- 2 Tbs. cooking oil
For the Sauce
- 2 Tbs. Fish sauce
- 2 Tbs. Sugar
- 1/4 tsp. Black pepper
To Serve with
- Cilantro leaves
- Warm cooked Jasmine rice
- Cucumber slices
- Cut chicken thighs in bite sizes and set aside.
- Pill first and second layers of lemongrass as needed; thinly slice and very finely chop it. This step is very important for pleasant texture of lemongrass. Set aside.
- Roughly chop garlic and chili and thinly slice shallot. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, add all sauce ingredients and whisk until sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
- Heat a wok over high heat and add oil; swirl to coat. Add chicken, skin side down and cook for 5 minutes without touching. This way chicken skin will turn out nice golden brown and crispy. Turn it over and cook additional 1 to 2 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Turn off heat for now and remove excess oil from wok by scooping out with a spoon to another bowl. Leave only 2 Tbs. oil in wok to keep cooking with.
- Turn your stove back to high heat and add lemongrass, garlic, chili and shallot into wok. Stir fry for 1 to 2 minutes or until all the vegetables are soften and you can smell beautiful aroma.
- Add in sauce we made earlier and stir fry until sauce has thicken, chicken’s coated evenly with sauce, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Serve with warm cooked Jasmine rice, sliced cucumber, and some fresh cilantro.