- 1/2 lb. beef, cut into 3″ long thin strips (Such as sirloin or chuck)
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 Tablespoon mirin (Seasoned rice wine, if you don’t have it, leave it out)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 medium size onion, thinly silced
- 1 Korean chili pepper or 1/4 bell pepper, fine julienne
- 1/2 large size carrot, fine julienne
- 5 shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced (You can substitute to any other mushrooms)
- 11–12 oz. fresh spinach (About a bunch)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- pinch of black pepper
- 14oz. Korean Sweet Potato Noodles (Known as glass noodles or cellophane noodles)
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup sugar or honey
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
- black pepper
- Salt, black pepper and vegetable or sesame oil as much needed
- Combine beef and next 5 ingredients for beef in a medium mixing bowl. Toss and coat evenly; let stand at least 10 minutes.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. add 1 teaspoon oil; swirl to coat. Add beaten eggs swirl skillet to egg covers surface in a thin layer. Cook until it’s just set, about 1 minute, then flip over and cook for another minute. Slip omelet onto a plate and let it cool.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil; swirl to coat. Add onion and a pinch of salt to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Remove onion from pan, keep warm. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chili pepper and a pinch of salt to pan; sauté 1 minute. Remove chili pepper from pan, keep warm. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add carrots and a pinch of salt to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Remove carrot from pan, keep warm. Add 1 teaspoon oil; swirl to coat. Add mushrooms and a pinch of salt* to pan; sauté 2 minutes. Remove from pan, keep warm. Add 1 teaspoon oil; swirl to coat. Add marinated beef to pan; sauté 7 minutes or until cooked through and all moisture has evaporated. Remove from pan, keep warm.
- Bring a large sauce pan of salted water to a boil. Add spinach, cook about 10 seconds, no much longer. Move spinach from the boiling water to ice water immediately. Squeeze out water from spinach as much as you can. Combine squeezed spinach with garlic and next 4 ingredients in a mixing bowl, mix it with you hand. Set aside.
- In same water blenched spinach, add Korean sweet potato noodles and 1 Tablespoon oil. Boil noodles according to package directions or 6 to 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- whisk all ingredients for sauce (From soy to black pepper) in a small bowl, set aside. Slice cooled egg omelet into thin ribbons and set aside.
- Cut the noodles as needed. In a large mixing bowl or a large plate add noodles and pour sauce. gently mix it until noodles absolve sauce; add stir-fried vegetables and beef, toss gently to combine. Garnish Japchae with reserved egg ribbons and more sesame seeds as desired.
Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins