Fluffy & fluffiest dumplings EVER!
For the Dough
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp active yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 cup and 2 tbsp warm water
For the Filling
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/2 lb ground chicken
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 3 tsp chopped ginger
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp shaoxing wine or rice wine
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
For Cooking (8” cast iron pan direction)
- 3tbsp cooking oil
- 6 to 7 dumplings
- 1 cup water
- Black sesame seeds
- Combine flour, yeast and sugar in a standard mixer. Pour warm water and mix on a medium speed and kneed for 3 to 4 minutes or until it become a piece of dough. You can do this step in a mixing bowl by hand. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it rise at a warm place for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, let’s make the filling! Combine all ingredients for filling in a mixing bowl and stir well until they become a sticky texture filling.
- After 1 hour 30 minutes, the dough should double to triple in size. Take the dough out to a work surface and roll out smoothly to a circle. Form the dough into a rope. Roll to into a rope that’s about 1” in diameter. Dust flour as needed. Divide the dough into 2 oz pieces (1 oz for smaller dumplings) and roll each piece of dough into a small ball. Flatten in between your palm. Using a rolling pin, flatten the dough into 3” circle but make sure outer edge is thiner than the center. Work 1 piece at a time, while leaving the rest covered with a clean kitchen towel.
- Put 1 heaping tablespoon of filling into the center and bring the edges to top with your index finger and thumb to seal while your left thumb is pushing the filling inside.
- Place sealed fluffy dumpling on a 8” cast iron pan that coated with 3 tablespoons of cooking oil. Repeat with rest of the ingredients. 6 to 7 dumplings will fit into 8” pan and this recipe will make 20 regular size dumplings or 40 small dumplings. Let the dumplings rest for 15 to 20 minutes without cover. This way it will prevent the dumplings from sticking to each others.
- Pour 1 cup of cold water or enough water to cover 3/4 of the dumplings. Cover, bring it to boil over medium high heat. If it boils over, uncover quickly to air it out & tilt the cover about 1”. Finish cooking over medium high heat, until dumplings are fully cooked and crispy on the bottom, about 10 minutes. Garnish with black sesame seeds and enjoy!
For Dipping Sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce + 1 tbsp vinegar + 1 tsp chili oil, optional