For the Dough
- 1 1/3 cup warm milk
- 1 tsp active yeast
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 3 cups bread flour (Bread flour will make the hotteok to have nice chewy texture. If you like soft texture, substitute to all purpose flour.)
- 1 tsp salt
For the Filling
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbs finely chopped nuts
- 1 tsp vanilla, optional
More Filing Options… Endless
- Dumpling filling
- Leftover Japchae
- Chocolate chips
- Your imagination…
- Cooking oil to fry hotteok and coat your hand (Such as canola, veg, corn, sunflower or grape seed oil)
- In a mixing bowl, combine warm milk, yeast and sugar and whisk until yeast and sugar are dissolved completely. Let it stand in a warm place to activate for 5 to 10 minutes. You will see little bubbles on the surface.
- In a stand mixer or in a large mixing bowl, combine flour and salt. Pour in warm milk mixture. Kneed dough on medium low speed for 5 to 10 minutes if you are using stand mixer. If you are doing it with hand; mix with a wooden spoon or a spatula, until dough is smooth and elastic form, about 5 to 10 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap completely. Let it rise in a warm place for 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for filling in a mixing bowl and set a side.
- When dough is ready, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium low heat and add enough cooking oil to cover bottom of skillet.
- Coat your both hands with cooking oil and take about 2 oz of dough at a time and roll as a ball. Flatten dough like a mini pizza using your fingertips. Place round dough on you palm and scoop about 1Tbs amount filling in center. Seal it completely by pinching edges together at top wrapping dough around filling.
- Place shaped dough on preheated skillet, seam side down. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until bottom is golden brown and crispy. Meanwhile, keep working on shaping dough.
- Fill it over carefully using 2 spatulas and press dough down with a hottoek press or spatula. Cook another 2 to 3 minutes, or until both side of hotteok is golden brown crispy and sugar is melted inside.
- Transfer hotteok to a paper towel lined plate. Repeat until remaining ingredients are gone. Enjoy when it’s warm!!