For the Broth
- 16 cups vegetable broth (I like to mix 1/2 tbsp Yondu per cup of water)
- 10x10 dasima, dried kelp
- 1 bulb of garlic, cut into half
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 14 to 16 dried shiitake mushrooms
For the Chili Sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 10 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 tbsp gochugaru, Korean red pepper flakes
- 5 tbsp sesame oil
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
- 5 tbsp Yondu or 3 tbsp mushroom seasonings
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
For the Vegetables
- 1 1/2 lb of your choice of mushrooms such as enoki, portobello, oyster, shimeji, etc & your choice of protein (I like to use fried tofu, sliced into bite sizes)
- 20 to 25 green onions, cut into 3” long pieces
- 12 oz beansprouts
- Some dangmyeon (Korean glass noodles) or kelp noodles, optional
- Combine all the broth’s ingredients in a large pot, cover it, and bring it to a boil. When boiling, remove the dasima, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and remove solid ingredients from the broth. You can discard all the ingredients but keep the shiitake mushrooms and let them cool before handling.
- Meanwhile, let’s make the chili sauce and prepare the vegetables. Combine all the ingredients for the chili sauce in a large mixing bowl and give it a good mix. Set aside.
- Slice the shiitake mushrooms and add them to the chili sauce along with your choice of mushrooms, tofu, and green onions. Mix well with your hand so the vegetables will marinate with the chili sauce flavor for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat back on to high for the broth. Add all the vegetables with chili sauce. Add the beansprouts as well. Give it a good stir, bring it to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until all the vegetables are softened.
This is the perfect time to cook some dangmyeon (Korean glass noodles) or prepare kelp noodles if you want to serve them in the soup.
- Place some cooked dangmyeon or rinsed kelp noodles on the bottom of the serving bowl if you are using it, and pour the yukgaejang. Serve with warm cooked rice and your choice of kimchi. Enjoy!
- Cook Time: 40 mins