- 1 lb beef (chuck or try tip), sliced 1/8” thin bite sizes
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp shaoxing wine
- pinch of black pepper
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 to 3 tsp sambal
For Frying & Stir Frying
- 1/2 cup potato starch or corn starch
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup frying oil
- 5 to 7 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1/4 red bell pepper, diced
- Combine beef, soy sauce, shaoxing wine and black pepper in a mixing bowl and marinate while preparing other ingredients.
- Combine all ingredients for sauce in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Preheat frying oil to 350°F in a cast iron wok or a large skillet. (If you are using cast iron wok/pan, just heat them over medium heat)
Dust marinated beef with starch evenly. Now, carefully add beef into frying oil one by one. Fry beef 6 to 7 minutes or until brown and crispy. Remove Remove beef from frying oil and place on a baking pan lined with cooling rack. Do batches as needed.
- Turn off heat. Remove most of the frying oil from wok, leave 2 tbsp oil for stir frying. You can keep used oil for later use, for stir frying or make this recipe again!
- Turn on heat to medium if you are using cast iron wok/pan or high heat if it’s regular wok or skillet. Add garlic, onion and red bell pepper. Stir fry them for 1 minute then pour sauce mixture. Let sauce boil, for 30 seconds, then add fried beef. Toss everything together and it’s read to serve! Serve with steamed rice (or fried rice), chow mein, steamed veggies and more! Enjoy!