- 4 lb. whole chicken, cut into 11 pieces with bone in and skin on
- 1 lb yukon gold potatoes, peel, halved or quartered (approximately 3 potatoes)
- 1/2 lb carrot, peel, cut into nice big chunks (approximately 3–4 carrots)
- 1 1/2 lb onion, cut into nice big chunks (approximately 2 onions)
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 Tbs Gochujang, Korean red pepper paste
- 2 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 Tbs Gochugaru, Korean red pepper flakes (Optional)
- 1 Tbs sugar or honey
- 2 Tbs rice wine
- 1 Tbs sesame oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, plus for garnish
- 4 green onions, sliced into 2 inch long pieces
- Bring enough water to boil to blench chicken in a large dutch oven or thick bottom pot; add chicken into boiling water, bring back to boil, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Drain chicken into a strainer and rinse pot quickly. Rinse chicken under cold water and place back to pot.
- Add potato, carrot, onion and garlic into pot.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine gochujang and next 6 ingredients. Add combined sauce into pot and toss everything together until chicken and vegetables are evenly coated with sauce. Cover, bring it to boil over medium high heat. Stirring frequently.
- When it starts boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring frequently for first 20 minutes of simmering to prevent burn bottom of pot.
- Stir in green onion and remove from heat.
- Transfer to a serving plate, garnish with some more sesame seeds. Serve with warm cooked rice, kimchi and other your favorite side dishes! Enjoy!!
- Cook Time: 1 hour