Dakbokkeumtang is one of my comfort food from Korea!
It’s very hearty, warm feeling & aways brings me a great memories of family & friends!
Dakbokkeumtang is Korean spicy chicken stew with simple vegetables such as potato, carrot and onion. The dish has all simple western style ingredients but the seasoning is totally different. So it is a great way to try new flavor with familiar ingredients with you! 😀
Dakbokkeumtang used to called by Dakdoritang.
Korea changed the dish’s name because ‘dak’ means chicken in Korean and ‘dori’ also means chicken in Japanese. We figured that the name doesn’t make sense at all as Korean gramma so the dish’s name is Dakbokkeumtang now on.
We normally serve this dakbokkeumtang with warm cooked rice, kimchi and more other side dishes.
For me, kimchi is all I need as a side for this delicious Dakbokkeumtang!
Dakbokeumtang, rice and kimchi, I’m set! lol
I hope you guys enjoy my recipe and please try it before the weather get too hot for your family, friends and even for yourself!!Print
- 4 lb. whole chicken, cut into 11 pieces with bone in and skin on
- 1 lb yukon gold potatoes, peel, halved or quartered (approximately 3 potatoes)
- 1/2 lb carrot, peel, cut into nice big chunks (approximately 3–4 carrots)
- 1 1/2 lb onion, cut into nice big chunks (approximately 2 onions)
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 Tbs Gochujang, Korean red pepper paste
- 2 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 Tbs Gochugaru, Korean red pepper flakes (Optional)
- 1 Tbs sugar or honey
- 2 Tbs rice wine
- 1 Tbs sesame oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, plus for garnish
- 4 green onions, sliced into 2 inch long pieces
- Bring enough water to boil to blench chicken in a large dutch oven or thick bottom pot; add chicken into boiling water, bring back to boil, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Drain chicken into a strainer and rinse pot quickly. Rinse chicken under cold water and place back to pot.
- Add potato, carrot, onion and garlic into pot.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine gochujang and next 6 ingredients. Add combined sauce into pot and toss everything together until chicken and vegetables are evenly coated with sauce. Cover, bring it to boil over medium high heat. Stirring frequently.
- When it starts boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring frequently for first 20 minutes of simmering to prevent burn bottom of pot.
- Stir in green onion and remove from heat.
- Transfer to a serving plate, garnish with some more sesame seeds. Serve with warm cooked rice, kimchi and other your favorite side dishes! Enjoy!!
- Cook Time: 1 hour