- 1 rack of baby back ribs(about up to 3lb.)
- 2 Tbs cooking oil
- 1 medium size onion, 1/4 inch thick sliced
- 1/2 cup water plus 5 cups
For The Sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbs gochujang, Korean red pepper paste
- 3 Tbs gochugaru, Korean red pepper flakes
- 3 Tbs mirin
- 3 Tbs soy sauce
- 3 Tbs honey
- 1 1/2 Tbs sesame oil
- 2 Tbs chopped garlic (approximately 7 to 10 cloves garlic)
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 cup Jasmine rice
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Wash a rack of baby back ribs under cold water. Cut into single pieces along with bones. Dry ribs by patting with paper towels.
- Heat a large dutch oven(or thick bottom pot) over medium high heat, add oil; swirl to coat. Add ribs, season with pinch of salt and pepper; sear until brown both sides, about 5 minutes each sides. Do 2 batches if needed. Remove seared ribs from pot, set aside.
- In same dutch oven, add onion and 1/2 cup water, deglazing all goodies on bottom of pot. Reduced the heat to medium, cook for 5 minutes or until onion is soften and lightly brown.
- Meanwhile let’s make sauce! Combine all ingredients for sauce in a mixing bowl.
- Pour sauce mixture into pot, stir. When sauce is sizzling, add seared ribs back to pot and pour 5 cups water. Make sure ribs are covered by liquid. Cover, increase heat to high. Bring to boil and reduce heat to medium, simmer for 40 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add rice, stir and make sure rice covered by liquid so it will evenly cook through. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, simmer for 20 minutes; and then reduce heat to low, simmer for additional 10 minutes. Remove from heat, let it stand and relax for 10 minutes.
- Stir rice and ribs and garnish with chopped green onion & sesame seeds. Enjoy!
If you’d like to make without rice, just add 2 cups of water instead 5 cups. Bring it to boil and simmer for 1 hour. Then it’s ready for ya!!