Today I’m going to share One-Pot Korean Spicy Ribs and Rice recipe!
This dish is perfect for cold weather, when you wanna be comfy and cozy at home!
The spiciness will warm you up and the rice will fill you up!
You can definitely reduce the spiciness by reducing Gochugaru, the Korean red pepper flakes.
Also, if you don’t want spicy at all, just use miso incased of gochujang, the Korean red pepper paste.
You can also make this recipe with bone-in & skin-on chicken thighs.
I don’t recommend to use chicken breast, because it will be very easy to dry out. Especially this stew type of dish.
Also it will have much less flavor than using pork ribs or bone-in & skin-on chicken thighs.
The meat is falling off from the bone, the rice is SO flavorful and soft and the sauce was flavorful, spicy, thick and delicious!
You’ve got to try this comfy cozy recipe at home!!
So try this delicious comfy food at home for your family friends or just for yourself!
Watching my instruction video will help you out how the food should look like if you are a beginner cook.
- 1 rack of baby back ribs(about up to 3lb.)
- 2 Tbs cooking oil
- 1 medium size onion, 1/4 inch thick sliced
- 1/2 cup water plus 5 cups
For The Sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbs gochujang, Korean red pepper paste
- 3 Tbs gochugaru, Korean red pepper flakes
- 3 Tbs mirin
- 3 Tbs soy sauce
- 3 Tbs honey
- 1 1/2 Tbs sesame oil
- 2 Tbs chopped garlic (approximately 7 to 10 cloves garlic)
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 cup Jasmine rice
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Wash a rack of baby back ribs under cold water. Cut into single pieces along with bones. Dry ribs by patting with paper towels.
- Heat a large dutch oven(or thick bottom pot) over medium high heat, add oil; swirl to coat. Add ribs, season with pinch of salt and pepper; sear until brown both sides, about 5 minutes each sides. Do 2 batches if needed. Remove seared ribs from pot, set aside.
- In same dutch oven, add onion and 1/2 cup water, deglazing all goodies on bottom of pot. Reduced the heat to medium, cook for 5 minutes or until onion is soften and lightly brown.
- Meanwhile let’s make sauce! Combine all ingredients for sauce in a mixing bowl.
- Pour sauce mixture into pot, stir. When sauce is sizzling, add seared ribs back to pot and pour 5 cups water. Make sure ribs are covered by liquid. Cover, increase heat to high. Bring to boil and reduce heat to medium, simmer for 40 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add rice, stir and make sure rice covered by liquid so it will evenly cook through. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, simmer for 20 minutes; and then reduce heat to low, simmer for additional 10 minutes. Remove from heat, let it stand and relax for 10 minutes.
- Stir rice and ribs and garnish with chopped green onion & sesame seeds. Enjoy!
If you’d like to make without rice, just add 2 cups of water instead 5 cups. Bring it to boil and simmer for 1 hour. Then it’s ready for ya!!
- Cook Time: 1 hour 40 mins