- 1/2 block (6 oz) of firm or extra firm tofu, wrap in a paper towel for 5 min to get rid of excess water then cut into 1/2″x1/2″ cubes (If you are using only tofu, use whole 14oz)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp agave nectar, honey, or sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (approximately 1 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 cups beech, oyster, or any mushrooms
- 2 green onions, chopped
- chive sprouts for garnish, optional
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat; add oil and swirl to coat. Add tofu cubes carefully and spread out evenly. Toss or stir around every 2 to 3 minutes so they will brown up evenly. It will take about 7 to 8 minutes total. If it takes too long, increase the heat to high.
- Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, agave nectar, sesame oil, sesame seeds, and minced garlic Then set aside.
- When tofu is browned on all sides, add mushrooms and combine with tofu. Cook for 3 minutes, but don’t stir too much- this will allow the mushrooms to turn nicely golden brown.
- Stir in the sauce we made earlier, and cook for about 1 minute. The moisture should evaporate quickly. Remove from heat, and stir in the green onion.
- Serve with warm cooked rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onion. Add chive sprouts if you have them as well. Enjoy!
Tofu and mushrooms needs a bit more patient to be golden brown, so let them do their magic in the skillet!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins