- 1 cup Korean ultimate stock or water
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup rice wine, soju or vodka
- 2 Tbs sesame oil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 8 to 9 cloves garlic, finely chopped (approximately 3 Tbs)
- 6 to 8 green onions, finely chopped (approximately 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 fresh kiwi, grated or 2 Tbs finely chopped pineapple
- 3 lb beef short ribs (you can use any cut of your favorite meat, I like to use bone/boneless beef short ribs, chuck, pork butt/shoulder or boneless chicken)
Side Dish Suggestions (Click the Name of the Dish for the Recipe)
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except meat. Whisk until sugar has dissolved. This marinade can be store in a refrigerator for 10 days when you are ready to use and you can marinade unto 3 pounds of meat of your choice.
- Add your choice of meat into marinade sauce and marinate at least 2 hours to overnight. (Overnight will be the best for perfectly tenderized meat and flavors) You can use either mixing bowl or ziplock bags. Do not marinate meat over 2 days, otherwise kiwi/pineapple breakdown protein of meat too much, it will be a mush texture and you don’t want that.
- When you are ready to cook Galbi, remove meat from marinade first and pour marinade into a sauce pan and bring it to boil. When it starts boiling, reduce heat to medium and cook sauce about 10 minutes. Skim as you needed.* This will be a delicious dipping sauce for Galbi!
- You can grill galbi over medium high heat until meat is cooked to your desire doneness. If you want to cook indoor, just use a nonstick skillet (it’s easier to clean later) and pan fry them.
- Galbi is more delicious and enjoyable with some Korean side dishes. Most of times, it serves with Ssamjang, some type of kimchi, some type of mini hot pot dish (steamed egg, doenjang jjigae or etc.) and definitely warm cooked rice or spicy cold noodles. Hope you enjoy Galibi, Korean BBQ at home!!
*When the sauce starts hard boil, it will reach to high temperature that the sauce now safe to eat. But if you are not comfortable using it, you can definitely save some of the sauce separately and cook it when you are ready.