I know you all LOVE street food, I meant who wouldn’t?!
Eating food on the street just have totally different atmosphere than eating at a restaurant, even though it’s same food.
I love street food, because I can walk around, look around and keep eating..!! lol!
Also, I believe the street food is one of the best ways to experience the country’s culture.
When I growing up in Korea, Chicken on a Stick was very simple.
Nothing crazy flavors, crazy sizes or anything.
But now days, there are so many different sauces putting on top of chicken on a stick and the size got so much bigger!
I love the new chicken on a stick, but same time I love the old style, which is I’m sharing today with you.
Korean street vendors grill the chicken on a stick, of course, and that’s my favorite way to make it too!
But you can also broil or cook on a skillet on your stove, just following the same method in the recipe.
Hope you guys give this delicious Korean chicken on a stick, Dakkochi a try at home!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast and/or chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbs cooking wine
- 1 tsp grated ginger (Use zester or cheese grater)
- 1 Tbs grated garlic (approximately 3 cloves, use zester or cheese grater)
- 8 to 10 green onions, 1½-inch long pieces
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup honey
- Combine chicken, salt, pepper, cooking wine, ginger and garlic in a large mixing bowl. Give it a good mix. Cover with a plastic wrap, marinate in a refrigerator at least 20 minutes to overnight.
- Meanwhile, let’s make sauce!
To make sweet sauce, whisk soy sauce and honey in a medium mixing bowl until they are combined well. To make spicy sauce, add half of sweet sauce (approximately ½ cup), gochugaru, sriracha and black pepper in another medium mixing bowl and whisk everything together. Simple sauces are done!
- Place a piece of green onion first then one to two pieces of chicken onto skewers. If you are using 6-inch skewers, you can make 6 to 7 of them.
- Now, you can grill, broil or cook on a stove.
Heat your grill, broil or a skillet over medium high heat. Place chicken on a stick and cook 4 to 5 minutes first side. Flip it over then start brushing your choice of sauce on chicken. Cook 2 minutes another side and flip it, brushing sauce. Now, keep flipping and brushing sauce both sides as much as you wish until chicken is fully cooked and color and char is perfect to your taste. Serve immediately and enjoy!