Do you wanna have the most popular Korean Chinese Food – Tangsuyuk?! In English, Sweet and Sour Pork!
You can make with chicken, tofu, mushroom any other protein you want, but the sauce is the BOMB! So you really must try this recipe!!!
This recipe, from kids to adult and enjoy everywhere and anytime! Great for pot luck, your kids birthday party and more! I hope you guys give it a try, it is too good to miss out!!!
- 1 cup corn/potato starch, soaked in 1 cup of water for 5 hours
- 1½ lb. Pork loin, cut into long strips
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce, plus 1 Tablespoon for sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- Frying oil
- ½ egg, beaten
- 1 small sweet onion, large diced
- ⅓ cup large diced red and yellow bell peppers
- ½ cup sliced cucumber
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup pineapple juice, plus 1 Tablespoon
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- Fresh juice from ½ of juicy lemon
- 1½ Tablespoon cornstarch
- Take 5 hours soaked starch and check if the water and starch separated completely.
- If so, the water should be very clean and starch is sink down on the bottom of the bowl. Very carefully, pour out the water and keep the soaked starch for the batter. Using a spoon, break down the soaked and harden starch, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add pork, soy sauce and shaoxing wine; combine well. Set aside and marinate for 10 minutes.
- Add egg into marinated pork, mix well. Then add soaked starch, little by little while you are breaking with your hand. Mix it through until it all coated pork evenly.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees.
Let's deep fry vegetables first! Add onion carefully into hot oil, deep fry for 30 seconds. Take out and place into a wok or a large sauce pan, where we are going to make the sauce. Then do the same thing with bell peppers and cucumber.
- Let the oil temperature come back to 350 degrees again. Then add pork carefully one by one. Make sure that pork doesn't stick too much and not crowed the pot. (You have to do 2 or 3 batches) Deep fry pork for about 2 to 3 minutes, cooked ¾ way through but not golden brown yet. Take out pork and place on a paper towel lined cooling rack. Let it cool completely, so they will be ready to deep fry one more time! This process(twice deep frying) will make the pork extremely crunch and last longer.
- While waiting the pork is cooling down, heat up the wok or a large sauce pan with deep fried vegetables over medium high; Add chicken stock, pineapple juice, vinegar, remaining soy sauce and lemon juice. Bring it to boil.
- Meanwhile mix cornstarch with remaining 1 Tablespoon pineapple juice in a small mixing bowl until well combined. Add cornstarch mixture into boiling sauce while you are stirring the sauce. It will thicken very quickly.
- Stir in pineapple, remove from the heat. The sauce is ready!
Heat oil to 375 degrees.
Deep fry the cooled once-deep fried pork one more time! This time we are going to make them pretty golden brown! About 2 minutes deep frying. Take out twice deep fried pork and place on a paper towel lined cooling rack.
- Serve as you desired. Separately, toss in the sauce or pour the sauce over the pork. It's totally up to you.
But I recommend to keep it separate if you are not going to serve immediately.