Dip and Enjoy!
Shabu Shabu is one of the fun dishes eat out there!! You cook in your table and the ingredients are endless!! Thinking as a fondue! 😉
The must item for Shabu Shabu is paper thin slices of raw meat(beef, pork, chicken or lamb) and raw vegetables. All the ingredients will be cooking by each person at the table in a pot of hot broth.
I make Shabu Shabu at home pretty often because it’s very easy and simple to prep but fill you up very deliciously!! Also another my favorite part of Shabu Shabu is that it’s very light so your tummy is full as a mountain, you won’t feel horrible. lol Trust me, you will eat until you tummy gets hurt. lol
Down below, they are classic shabu shabu dipping sauces, you definitely want to keep these 2 shabu shabu dipping sauce recipes!
Creamy sesame dressing & Yuzu Ponzu Dressing!
- 2 dashi bags or 5″x 5″ Dried kombu seaweed (AKA dasima)
- 1/2 Head napa cabbage, cut into 2” pieces
- 2 Korean large green onion (AKA Tokyo Negi), cut diagonally into 2″ pieces (can be substitute regular green onion)
- 1 Bundle crown daisy (AKA Tong Hao or Shungiku), trim the end
- 1 Bundle yu chou, trim the end
- 10 Baby bok choy, cut into quarters
- 1 Package enoki mushrooms, trim the end and pulled apart
- 2 Cups beech mushrooms
- 2 lb. Beef (sir loin, ribeye or loin) or pork loin or chicken breast; sliced very thinly or buy pre-sliced shabu shabu meat from Asian store
- 1 package ramen noodles or udon noodles
Creamy Sesame Sauce
- 2 Tbs. tahini
- 3 Tbs. mayonnaise (possibly Japanese Kewpiebrand)
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. honey
- 2 Tbs. sesame oil
- 1 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs. sesame seeds, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup dashi stock (you can substitute to chicken stock)
- 2 Tbs. sambal
- 2 tsp. chopped garlic
Citrus Ponzu Sauce
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp yuzu juice
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp Dashi broth
- Grated daikon
- Chopped green onion
- In a large pot(that you are going to serve on the table) add 8 cups water, 2 dash bags and bring it to boil and simmer for 15 min. (If you are using kombu; add dried kombu and soak in water for 30 min first then bring it to boil. Remove kombu when water starts boil, keep simmer for 10 min)
- Mean while prepare vegetables and make creamy sesame dressing and ponzu sauce.
- Arrange all ingredients on serving plates.
- Set a burner for pot and place ingredient plates on table. Give each guest a bowl or small plate for cooked food, two sauce dishes for each sauce, a set of chopsticks and spoon.
- Bring the pot with broth to the table and set on the burner. Bring it to simmer and start add vegetables that take longer time to cook. While it’s simmering and hard vegetables are cooking, each guest cook their beef(or other protein) by dipping in the simmering broth. It takes only a few seconds.
- Dip the meat and vegetables into the choice of your dipping sauce. Add grated daikon and chopped green onion into ponzu sauce if you prefer.
- End of the meal, when most of all ingredients on the table are gone; add ramen or udon noodles in the pot along with soy or salt for your taste. Cook for a few minutes and enjoy!