Budae Jjigae is created in South Korea after the Korean war, U.S military came to Korea. We had to find the way to enjoy spam, hotdog, cheese and all in our own way and that’s how Bugae Jjigae born.
The city I used to live in Korea call Uijeongbu, is known for Budae Jjigae. There are a lot of changes in Budae Jjigae styles since it became very popular in Korea, a lot of restaurant starts making it and even franchise restaurants. Though, we consider Uijeongbu style is the original which I’m introducing to you.
No one said this recipe is healthy… lol So don’t eat it too often. 😉
Hope you enjoy at home~!
For the Sauce (Sauce amount will serves 8 to 12)
- 6 Tbs gochugaru
- 3 Tbs soy sauce
- 2 Tbs fish sauce
- 2 Tbs rice wine or soju
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 1 tsp Doenjang, Korean fermented soybean paste (can be substitute to miso)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbs chopped garlic (approximately 8 to 10 cloves garlic)
For the Stew
- 1 cup kimchi
- 2 oz rice cake slices, soaked in warm water for 20 minutes if it’s frozen
- 6 oz spam (half can), sliced into 1/4-inch thin
- 6 oz hotdogs (2 links), sliced into 1/4-inch thin
- 4 oz firm tofu (1/4 block), sliced into 1/4-inch thin
- 5 oz breakfast sausage or any ground meat
- 3 to 5 green onions, sliced
- 2 Tbs baked beans
- 3 to 4 oz dried Dangmyeon, Korean glass noodles, soaked in warm water for 20 minutes
- 1 oz enoki mushrooms
- 1 or 2 slice American cheese
- 5 cups Korean ultimate stock (CLICK HERE for the Recipe) or chicken stock
- 4 oz instant ramen noodles or udon noodles
- In a mixing bowl, add all ingredients for sauce and whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- In a shallow and wide thick bottom pot, arrange kimchi, rice cake, spam, hotdogs tofu, breakfast sausage, green onion and baked beans. Place stoked dangmyeon and enoki mushrooms on middle. Pour half of sauce we made earlier on top and pour stock carefully. Place cheese right on top.
- You can serve on a table if you have a portable stove with instant ramen noodles on side or cook ahead on a stove and serve.
To cook budae Jjigae, bring it to boil over high heat, and hard boil for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and start stirring with a spoon to mix everything together. You can start eating by now and add ramen noodles when you are ready to eat. Enjoy with warm bowl of cooked rice!