Caponata is Italian style of sweet & sour flavor.
Definitely Italian home cooking meal that can’t find at Italian restaurant that easily.
It is plant based recipe and so satisfying!!
My hubby is a meat lover, and when he tried this caponata… He was blown away!!
He couldn’t even believe that he didn’t miss any meat while eating my caponata as a dinner!
Hope you try delicious caponata at home!Print
- 1 lb. / 453g eggplant, 1-inch cubed (approximately 1 large eggplant)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbs. / 45ml olive oil
- 8 oz. / 226g onion, 1-inch cubed (approximately 1 medium side onion)
- 3 oz. / 85g celery, sliced (approximately 2 to 3 stalks of celery)
- 2 oz. / 56g pitted green olives
- 2 oz. / 56g caper
- 14.5 oz. / 411g diced tomato
- 2 Tbs. / 25g sugar
- 4 Tbs. 60ml red wine vinegar
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 Tbs. chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- Toasted bread to serve with
- Place cubed eggplant in a strainer and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt. Toss to coat eggplant with salt evenly. Let it stand for 15 minutes, you will see brown water start dripping down. Pat dry with paper towel and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat; add olive oil and onion. Sauté for 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and celery, Sauté until vegetables are soft about 1 to 2minutes. Add prepared eggplant and increase heat to medium high. Sauté for 8 to 10 minutes or until eggplants are nicely browned.
- Stir in olives and caper, sauté for 1 minute then add tomato, sugar and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir everything together.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in chopped parsley and serve with toasted bread. Enjoy!