Today I’m going to share Korean Spicy Braised Beltfish, we call Galchi Jorim!
Galchi means beltfish(hair tail) and Jorim means braised.
My friends and I had this dish in Namdaemoon Market (right next to Myeongdong) in Seoul, and that market is very famous for this dish. I document all my travels in Korea as a “Life in Korea” series, it is the most awesome travel show, ever!
If you’d like to watch my Life in Korea series and you are using desktop, just click “HERE“
More easier way to watch on phone/mobile will be watching on YouTube. Just simple click the link down below.
Also if you haven’t subscribe to my channel yet, please do so! 😉 I really appreciate for your support and love!
Life in Korean Season 1
Life in Korea Season 2
My friends were asking me how to make this Galchi Jorim because they wanted to recreate at home.
So this recipe is dedicated to my friends who went Korea with me!
Hope you guys enjoy this delicious Galchi Jorim, Korean Spicy Braised Beltfish at home!Print
- 8 oz beltfish (hairtail), cut into 4 to 5-inch pieces, washed, scrape outer silver skin and fins are removed
For the Sauce
- 2 Tbs soy sauce
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp gochujang, Korean red pepper paste
- 1 Tbs gochugaru, Korean red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup sake or soju (rice wine)
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 1/2 Tbs chopped garlic (approximately 5 cloves)
For the Vegetables
- 1 lb Korean radish, Moo or daikon (You can substitute to potato)
- 1/2 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 green onion, sliced thinly into diagonal angle
- 1 serrano or jalapeno, sliced thinly into diagonal angle
- Prepare beltfish first. If you are using frozen beltfish or very sensitive about fish smell, soak them in rice wine or white wine for over night. If you are using fresh beltfish, just clean well and wash and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for sauce and whisk all together. Set aside.
- Wash and peel radish and slice into 3/4-inch wide. Then cut into halves, as half moon shape.
- Place radish on bottom of wide shallow pot, and pour 3/4 cup cold water. Spread 3 tablespoons of sauce we made earlier on top of radish; cover, bring it to boil then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Flip over radishes, then place sliced onion, prepared beltfish and pour rest of sauce on top of sauce. Increase heat to medium high, bring it to boil and keep boiling for 5 minutes with no lids. Scoop sauce from bottom of pot and pour over fish occasionally.
- Now, add green onions and serrano chili right on top. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until fish and vegetables are fully cooked. Scoop sauce from bottom of pot and pour over fish occasionally.
- Finally, increase heat to high, remove lid to uncover pot and let it hard boiling for 3 to 5 minutes. Scoop sauce from bottom of pot and pour over fish and move bottom radishes around occasionally.
- Remove from heat, garnish with sliced green onion if you wish. Enjoy with warm cooked rice and other side dishes you’d like! I recommend steamed egg and fresh kimchi!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins