Penne Rosa (Rose Sauce)
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: serves 2
- 2 Links (7 oz. / 200g) Italian sausage
- 4 oz. / 113g Wholegrain penne
- 1 1/2 cup / 355ml Marinara sauce
- 3 Tbs. / 44ml Vodka
- 1/3 cup / 80ml Half & half
- 5 to 7 Basil leaves, sliced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 to 3 Tbs. / 15g to 25g Shredded Parmigiano (parmesan cheese)
- Preheat oven to 450 °F / 230 °C.
Shape Italian sausage into 3/4-inch mini meatballs and place on a parchment paper or silicon pad lined baking pan. Bake 10 to 12 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over hight heat and salt it generously. Add penne and boil, stirring occasionally until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes or follow the directions of the package you are using.
- Meanwhile heat a large skillet over medium high heat, pour marinara sauce. When starts simmering, increase heat to high and pour vodka. Stirring frequently until alcohol has evaporated.
- Reduce heat to medium, pour half & half and stir until combined. Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in basil leaves.
- Turn off heat. Add cooked pasta and shredded pamigiano into rose sauce. Toss to combine.
- Transfer to a serving plate and top with mini meatballs, more cheese and basil.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
You should be able to buy Italian sausage without the casing so there isn’t a need to cut open the links.