Today I’m sharing another delicious and trendy Korean recipe! 😀 YAY~!!
As all of you know, Korea is known for spicy food with other awesome culture and food.
Seems like now days- the younger generations are LOVING cheese and cheese is the hottest ingredients in Korea now. When I went to Korean last spring, I was amazed by how many restaurants and dishes adopted cheese in theirs. My 2 favorite dishes were definitely Spicy chicken with cheese (치즈퐁당 닭갈비) and Cheese baby back ribs. (치즈 등갈비)
I was SO in love with those dishes and I finally recreated one of those dishes!
The spicy ribs is good enough to it by itself, but man, it is the bomb when you dip it in cheese….. AH!
You can make this recipe with chicken as well, just cut your chicken thighs and breast into bite pieces and skip the boiling part- just marinate them in the spicy sauce and cook them over a stove. Ummmm!! YUMMY!!
I really hope you guys give this recipe a try, it is too good to miss out!!!Print
For the Ribs
- 1 Rack of baby back ribs (about 3lb.)
- 7 Cups cold water
- 10 Cloves garlic, crushed or 1 bulb of garlic cut into halves
- 2 to 3Slices of fresh ginger (Oreo cookie size)
- 1/2 Yellow or white onion, cut into quarter
- 1/2 cup soju, sake(rice wine) or vodka
- 1 Tbs. Black pepper corn
- 2 Bay leaves
- 4 Dried Thai chili, crushed or 1 Tbs. red pepper flakes
- 3 Tbs. Soy sauce
- 3 Tbs. Sugar
For the Sauce
- 3 Tbs. Gochujang, Korean red pepper paste
- 2 Tbs. Soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. Mirin
- 3 Tbs. Honey
- 3 Tbs. Sambal, chili garlic sauce
- 5 Cloves garlic
- 2 Tbs. Korean sweet plum sauce, apricot preserve or apple jelly
- 1/4 tsp. Black pepper
For the Cheese Mixture
- 2 Cups Mozzarella Cheese
- 3 Tbs. Sour cream, creama, heavy cream, cream cheese or milk
- Cut baby back ribs into single pieces
- In a large pot, combine all ingredients for ribs and stir gently so everything will mix into water. Make sure ribs are covered with seasoned water.
[url href=”http://seonkyounglongest.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Screen-Shot-2015-09-16-at-4.24.26-PM.png”][/url] [url href=”http://seonkyounglongest.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Screen-Shot-2015-09-16-at-4.24.36-PM.png”][/url]
- Cover with a lid and bring it to boil over high heat. When it starts boiling reduce heat to medium and cook ribs for 1 hour 30 minutes. Stir once about half way though cooking time so they will cook evenly.
[url href=”http://seonkyounglongest.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Screen-Shot-2015-09-16-at-4.24.43-PM.png”][/url] [url href=”http://seonkyounglongest.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Screen-Shot-2015-09-16-at-4.26.03-PM.png”][/url] [url href=”http://seonkyounglongest.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Screen-Shot-2015-09-16-at-4.24.54-PM.png”][/url]
- Mean while, let’s make spicy sauce and prepare cheese mixture!
In a blender, food processor or using a hand blender, blend all ingredients for sauce until very smooth. Cover and keep it in a refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a mixing bowl, add cheese and cream; mix well, Cover and keep it in a refrigerator until ready to use.
[url href=”http://seonkyounglongest.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Screen-Shot-2015-09-16-at-4.27.13-PM.png”][/url] [url href=”http://seonkyounglongest.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Screen-Shot-2015-09-16-at-4.27.26-PM.png”][/url]
- Turn off heat and carefully take ribs out from pot to a plate. Be gentle to handling soft ribs. Place ribs in a refrigerator for 20 minutes so meat will cool and firm up before grill.
- Heat your grill over medium heat; and place ribs on grill. (If you can’t grill, you can use broiler or just cook it on a stove. Please see note for the directions of broiler) Keep brushing spicy sauce we made earlier, and flip over as many times as you need to until sauce has only about 1 Tbs. left. It will look shiny and nicely chard. Remove from grill.
[url href=”http://seonkyounglongest.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Screen-Shot-2015-09-16-at-4.26.38-PM.png”][/url] [url href=”http://seonkyounglongest.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Screen-Shot-2015-09-16-at-4.26.43-PM.png”][/url] [url href=”http://seonkyounglongest.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Screen-Shot-2015-09-16-at-4.26.50-PM.png”] [/url] [url href=”http://seonkyounglongest.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Screen-Shot-2015-09-16-at-4.26.55-PM.png”][/url]
- In a large cast iron skillet, spread cheese mixture around edge, like a ring. Place grilled ribs in middle carefully. Heat cast iron skillet over medium high heat; when cheese melted completely and you can hear sizzling sound, it’s ready to serve!
[url href=”http://seonkyounglongest.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Screen-Shot-2015-09-16-at-4.27.43-PM.png”][/url] [url href=”http://seonkyounglongest.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Screen-Shot-2015-09-16-at-4.27.57-PM.png”][/url] [url href=”http://seonkyounglongest.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Screen-Shot-2015-09-16-at-4.28.03-PM.png”][/url] [url href=”http://seonkyounglongest.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Screen-Shot-2015-09-16-at-4.28.09-PM.png”][/url] [url href=”http://seonkyounglongest.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Screen-Shot-2015-09-16-at-4.28.17-PM.png”][/url]
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Stove Heat a large skillet over high heat and add cooled ribs and pour sauce. Cook about 10 minutes over medium-high heat until meat has a nice caramelization and liquid reduced as sticky glaze on ribs.
Prepare a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Heat a broiler and place an oven rack a few inches below heating element. Place cooled ribs on a prepared baking sheet, brush with sauce and broil ribs about 2 minutes. Flip over ribs and brush with more sauce and broil for 2 minutes. Repeat 3 to 4 times or until you are satisfied with the caramelization and chard.