Chinese Smashed Cucumber Salad
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small or 1/2 medium size shallot, finely chopped
- 2 lb Persian cucumber
- Whisk soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, salt and sesame oil until sugar has dissolved and thicken. Mix in garlic and shallot.
- Cut the ends of cucumbers and smash them down with a side (wide) part of knife a few times until they are broken . If you don’t feel comfortable using knife, you could use rolling pin, a sauce pan or flat part of meat tenderizer. Then cut them into 1-inch long pieces. Remove some big seeds if there’s any to prevent from watery salad.
- Add cucumber into the dressing mix everything together. You can serve it immediately or keep in a refrigerator for a couple of hours before serve. Enjoy!