Humble, easy yet super scrumptious Japanese Beef Rice Bowl, Gyudon!
The thin tender beef is cooked in gingery sweet soy sauce with onion then place right top of warm cooked rice..!!
Um, um, um!
I don’t know about you, but that sounds heavenly to me!!
Oh, and don’t forget the egg!
All Asian dishes x10 tastier when it served with egg… lol!
You could make fried egg and put on top, but when you just steamed in beef with the sauce, why waste another pan to get dirty? 😉
These are 3 essential sauces you will need and want to have in your pantry if you love Japanese cuisine!
Sake (the top picture, reasonable price for cooking. You can buy from local Asian grocery stores or liquor store-maybe different brand), Mirin (seasoned rice wine, so easy to get at the Asian food section of your local grocery stores!) and soy sauce (the bottom picture, my favorite Japanese organic soy sauce)
Hope you give this easy Gyudon recipe a try at home!
- 1 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 2 Tbs mirin, seasoned rice wine
- 2 Tbs sake, rice wine
- 1/2 cup dashi broth
- 2 slices ginger
- 4 oz onion, sliced (approximately 1/2 of medium size onion)
- 8 oz thinly sliced beef (I recommend sirloin, new york strip or ribeye)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups rice
- benishoga, shredded pickled ginger
- chopped green onion
- Shichimi togarashi
- In a large skillet, combine soy sauce, sugar, mirin, sake, dashi and ginger. Cover and bring it to boil over high heat. Let it boil for 1 minute so alcohol will evaporates and flavor will combine.
- Reduce heat to medium high. Add sliced onion, cover and simmer for another minute.
- When onion is soften, remove ginger slices. Add thinly sliced beef and spread evenly on skillet. Stir occasionally so beef will cook evenly.
- minutes later or when beef is 3/4 way cooked, it will still be a little pink. This is time to add egg. I recommend you to crack eggs in a small bowl then pour into skillet, so there is no chance egg shell can get into gyudon. Cover and simmer for 1 minute for runny yolk, 2 minutes for medium cooked egg or 3 minutes for fully cooked egg.
- Serve in a bowl, on top of rice. Garnish with pickled ginger, chopped green onion and sichimi to your taste. Serve immediately and enjoy!