Today I will share with you all how I made this beef curry that I posted on my Instagram (@Seonkyoung) a few days ago and shared my Twitter (@Seonkyoung).
I sharing this because I’ve go a request from a Twitter follower @AnaLivesHerLife. Thank you Ana for the request! 🙂
It’s very easy and simple to make, because we are using already pre-made curry paste.
I just found this Patak’s curry paste(Exactly same one as shown the picture above) from local Asian market and wanted to give it a try. To make 2 to 4 servings you will need a few Tablespoons (about 1/3 of jar) instead of whole entire jar, which is I love! One day, I had some beef chuck in my refrigerator that I had no idea what to do, so I decided to give this curry paste a try! I was going to follow the direction, but I figured it won’t be enough flavor as I want it. So I made my own way. I added some chicken stock and coconut milk instead of just water and for vegetables and I used large diced onion, yellow squash and cherry tomatoes. Oh, I added 1 Serano pepper that I ground to make this mild curry to spicy curry! lol I finished with chopped cilantro right on top and served with jasmine rice instead Indian basmati rice. 🙂
If you want to give this a try, please do! I’m just so happy that I found a new way to enjoy my semi-homemade curry at home! 🙂
- 2 Tbs. Grape seed oil (you can substitute to any other cooking oil)
- 1 lb. Beef chuck, cut into 1"x1" cubes
- 1 yellow onion, large diced
- ¼ cup Patak's original mild curry paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 Serano chili grated (optional)
- 1 Yellow squash, cut into 1"x1" cubes
- 10 cherry or grape tomatoes, cut into halves
- Handful cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper for taste
- Warm cooked jasmine or basmati rice to serve
- Season beef cubes with generous amount of salt and pepper. Heat a large deep skillet over medium high heat, add oil and swirl to coat. Add beef in skillet and sear all surface of beef, about 3 minutes for first side and 2 minutes for each side. Remove nicely golden browned beef to a plate and set aside.
- In now-empty skillet, add onion, season with a pinch of salt and pepper and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add curry paste and saute with onion for a minute, add bit more oil during this process if it's necessary.
- Add chicken stock, coconut milk, Serano chili and beef cubes into skillet. Cover, bring it to boil and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes, or curry has reduce to ½ amount. Stir occasionally.
- Add in squash and simmer additional 20 minutes. Finally add tomatoes and cilantro and simmer 10 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper for taste.
- Serve with warm cooked rice or buttered naan. 🙂 Enjoy!