- 1 cup brown jasmine rice, jasmine rice, or long-grain rice
- 2 cups vegetable stock for brown jasmine rice, 1 1/2 cup for white jasmine or long grain rice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce, optional
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 green onions
- 3 thin or 2 thick slices of ginger
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or cooking oil
- 1 king oyster mushroom, sliced, or any mushrooms of your choice
- 1 tsp soy sauce or a pinch of salt
- 4 to 5 oz tofu steak, extra firm tofu or any plant-based protein of your choice, sliced
- 2 oz blanched yu choy, bok choy, cabbage, spinach, or any vegetable of your choice
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- Chopped green onion for garnish
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Wash rice lightly and drain and add into a clay pot. Pour the vegetable stock and let it soak for 1 hour.
- Combine all ingredients for the sauce in a saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. This sauce is SO GOOD on everything, you might want to quadruple this recipe. Use this sauce for stir-frying, dipping, glazing, and drizzle on anything you want (rice, noodles, veggies, etc). This sauce will last 2 weeks in the fridge.
- Bring soaked rice to a boil over high heat. When it starts boiling, stir once and cover, reduce heat to medium-low. Keep simmering for 10 minutes for white jasmine rice to 15 minutes for brown jasmine rice or until rice is fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, while the rice is cooking, sauté the mushrooms until they have golden brown edges, about 3 to 4 minutes over high heat. Season with soy sauce and remove from heat.
- Arrange sautéd mushrooms, sliced tofu steak, and blanched greens on top of cooked rice. Drizzle sesame oil around the edge of the clay pot to help create crispy rice. Cover, increase heat to high and cook for 5 to 9 minutes (5 minutes for white jasmine rice, 9 minutes for brown jasmine rice) to create crispy burnt rice.
- Remove from heat, and drizzle as much of the sauce as you want. This sauce is not too salty, so enjoy as saucy as you like! Lastly, garnish with some chopped green onions and sesame seeds, and serve while it’s hot! Enjoy!