Today I’m going to share my Okonomiyaki recipe! 😀 YAY~!
Okonomiyaki is one of my favorite savory pancake, hands down! ‘Okonomi’ means ‘what you like/want’ and ‘Yaki’ means ‘grill/broil’. So it pretty much means Grilled what you like/grilled as you like it.
There are few different styles of Okonomiyaki depending on region. Okonomiyaki’s origin is Osaka and Hiroshima and today I’m sharing Osaka style which is more simpler and easier to make!
The batter and cabbage is the basic ingredients for Oknomiyaki and rest of other ingredients are totally up to you! As the name Okonomiyaki says, As You Like it! 😉
I understand there are some ingredients that hard to find at regular grocery stores, but you always can buy Asian ingredients from local Asian markets or Internet!
- 1 cup All pour pose flour
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- ¾ cup Dashi broth (Click HERE for the recipe)
- 1½ Tbs. Nagaimo, Japanese mountain yam (Optional)
- 5 cups Green cabbage, cut into ½” pieces
- 2 Green onions, chopped
- 4 oz. Small shrimp, if it’s large size, cut into bit sizes
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tbs. Cooking oil
- 6 of thin slices pork belly (6 oz.) (You can substitute bacon)
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt. Add in dash broth, and whisk until smooth and no rumps.
- Stir in Nagaimo, cabbage, green onion, shrimp and egg.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat; add oil and swirl to coat. Add half of okonomiyaki batter and spread evenly about 1” thick. Cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Place pork belly slices on top of okonomiyaki and carefully flip it over. Cover with a lid and cook additional 5 minutes or until okonomiyaki is all the way cooked through.
- Remove from heat and repeat with remaining ingredients.
Brush okonomiyai with okonomi sauce, top with Japanese mayonnaise and then sparkle with Aonori, Katsuobushi and chopped green onion.
Commonly in Japan, they cook/serve Okonomiyaki on the table where you eat, but we are going to make it work whatever convenience for us. It will be equally delicious, I hope you guys give it a try!