The weather already getting warm where I live, but I understand it is still cold winter for other places.
There are few dishes I really craving for the cold weather, and I will introduce you guys one of those.
Doenjang means Korean fermented soybean paste. Jjigae means soup/stew.
I don’t think Doenjang Jjigae is as well known as Kimchi jjigae, but it’s as popular and common as Kimchi jjigae in Korea, not less.
Such a hearty Korean comport food. If you love Korean food, Doenjang Jjigae is one of your must try! 🙂
My mom has been visiting me from Christmas and I made Doenjang Jjigae for her almost every morning. She was so impressive how well I can make Doenjang Jjigae now since I started cooking (I’ve been cooking only 4 years now), she was so happy to enjoy my cooking for her.
She is the one who taught me how to make Doenjang Jjigae, and I was very very proud to serve this dish to her and she loved it!
I was so proud of myself when she told me how well I did some of the dishes she tasted, it means bigger to me than chef Robert Irvine said. lol
My mom is one of biggest inspirations to me and my cooking, so it means huge. Especially she’s very hard to please with food. 😉
So for that, I’m sure proud and happy to share my Doenjang Jjigae recipe with you all, hope all of you enjoy as much as my mom and I did!! 😀Print
- 2 1/2 cup Ultimate Korean stock (Click HERE for the recipe)
- 3 1/2 Tbs. Doenjang, Korean fermented soybean paste
- 6 oz. Korean squash or zucchini, cut into quarter in lengthwise, sliced into 1/8” pieces
- 4 oz. Oyster mushrooms or your favorite mushrooms, teared into bite sizes
- 8 oz. Medium firm tofu, cut into 1/2 x 1/2” cubes
- 2 Green onions, chopped
- 1 chili, thinly sliced
- In a clay or thick bottom pot, add 1 cup of Korean stock and Doenjang; whisk until you don’t see any big lumps. You will see pieces of beans, don’t worry about them. Add rest of Korean stock and cover, bring it boil over high heat.
- Add squash, mushroom and tofu into boiling soup; bring back to boil.
- Add green onion and chili, remove from heat immediately. Serve hot with warm cooked rice. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins