The weather is already getting hot in California! I love spring and summer, so I’m fully enjoying this beautiful weather,
flowers and nature lately going walk with my 2 little boys (my dogs, Smokey and Bandit) every day after breakfast or lunch. 🙂
I’ve received a lot of egg rolls, spring rolls and lumpia recipes from you guys and thank you so much for requesting! You guys are truly my inspirations!!! So today, I’m sharing Pork and Shrimp Egg Rolls! Spring roll and lumpia recipes will come shortly too, can’t wait to share all of them with you so you can choose your favorite style of egg roll for your taste and for your friends and family.
I personally love thin skin egg rolls, but for this recipe I used classic egg roll wrapper, which is thicker and chewier since this recipe is focused on American Chinese style. So if you prefer different egg roll wrapper or you can find only one kind of egg roll wrapper, you can use it.
Hope you guys give this recipe a try one day, it is a fun recipe to make with your family and friends! 🙂
- 4 oz ground pork
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice wine
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 3 tsp cooking oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 8 oz green cabbage, thinly slice or shredded
- 4 oz carrot, julienned
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 to 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 oz bamboo shoots, julienned
- 4 oz. beansprouts, roughly cut
- 24 to 26 peeled and deveined 41/50 or 51/60 shrimps
- 12 to 14 egg roll wrappers
- Frying oil
For the Cornstarch Water
- 1 Tbs cornstarch
- 4 Tbs cold water
- Combine ground pork, soy sauce, rice wine and white pepper, set aside.
- Heat a wok over hight heat; add 1 tsp oil and pork, cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Keep breaking down pork with a wooden spoon or specula to small pieces. Remove from heat and place into a large mixing bowl.
- Into same wok, add 2 tsp of remaining oil along with chopped garlic and ginger. Stir fry until you can smell the fragrance, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Stir in cabbage, carrots and salt; Stir fry all together until vegetables are soft but still have crunch bite, about 1 to 2 minute. Remove from heat and add into large mixing bowl with pork along with green onions, bamboo shoots, and beansprouts. Toss everything together. Let filling to cool so it will be easier to handle.
- Combine cornstarch with water in a small mixing bowl. (You can use beat egg instead)
- Place a egg roll wrapper on a work surface as diamond shape, a conner pointed toward you. Place 2 to 3 Tbs amount of filling, horizontally on a third of egg roll wrapper that close to you. Place 2 shrimps on top of filling. Brush top conner with cornstarch water.
- Roll a corner closest to you over filling. Fold left and right corners toward center and continue rolling until it’s closed. lightly press to tightly seal and continue with remaining ingredients. You will make 12 to 14 egg rolls.
- If you want to freeze egg rolls, you can freeze it now, please see the note for how to freeze egg rolls. Heat frying oil to 350 to 370 degrees. (oil should be at least 1 1/2 to 2 inch deep)
- Fry egg rolls until golden brown on all sides, about 3 minutes. Using tongs or long chopsticks to turn them. Remove from oil and place on a paper towel lined plate or a rack. Serve when cool enough to eat with your favorite egg roll dipping sauce.
To freeze egg rolls: Place egg rolls on a a baking sheet as one layer. Make sure none of the egg rolls are touching or they will stick together. Freeze them for about 2 to 3 hours or and now you can put them together into a freezer safe ziplock bag and place bag into freezer. freeze for up to three months.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins