Chicken lettuce wraps is probably one of the most popular appetizers from Chinese or Asian infused restaurants.
Growing up in Korea, we always eat anything and everything as lettuce wraps, but never had this American Chinese style chicken lettuce wrap until I moved to U.S 2009.
I was amazed by the flavor, I mean, who wouldn’t?! lol
It was my first experience of American-Chinese food and I was hooked at first sigh! 😉
As always, you all know this chicken lettuce wraps recipe I’m sharing here is the best chicken lettuce wraps recipe you will ever find!
There is a couple different style of toppings/garnish you can use for chicken lettuce wraps such as sesame seeds, roasted chopped peanuts and more!
The topping for my chicken lettuce wraps, I used fried glass noodles.
It used often in Chinese restaurants for garnish for many dishes!
It is surprisingly easy to make, so don’t skip the garnish part!
you can fined glass noodles from Asian grocery stores or online!
There are many different chicken lettuce wraps dipping sauce recipes out there, but I personally love my homemade sweet chili sauce.
You can buy this sauce from store, but I highly recommend to make this homemade sauce because it’s not even comparable!! It’s not overly sweet as store bought one and has more tangy and spicy flavors!
Homemade sweet chili sauce completes the chicken lettuce wraps flavors on point!
If you want to use different meat instead of chicken, feel free to do so!
You can use pork, beef, turkey salmon, shrimp or tofu for vegetarian version of chicken lettuce wraps!
Hope you give a try chicken lettuce wraps one day, everyone will LOVE it!!
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sambal
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp shaoxing wine (Chinese cooking wine, you can substitute to sake or dry sherry)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 5 to 6 pieces of 3-inch long glass noodles
- frying oil
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, chopped (approximately 1 Tbsp)
- 1 oz ginger, finely chopped (approximately 1 Tbsp)
- ½ of medium size onion, small diced (approximately ½ cup)
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 8 oz water chestnuts, chopped
- 1 chili, chopped
- 1 to 2 green onions, chopped
- Iceberg, green, butter leaf, jam, romaine or any your favorite lettuce.
- Combine all ingredients for sweet chili sauce in a sauce pan, whisk and bring it to soft boil over medium high heat. When it starts boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let it completely.
- Combine all ingredients for chicken stir fry sauce in a small mixing bowl, and set a side.
- Heat frying oil to 350°F and fry glass noodles a couple of pieces at a time, carefully. It will curl then expend to larger size and turn into white color. It takes only 2 to 3 seconds to be done so pay attention. Place on a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- Heat a wok over hight heat; add oil, garlic, ginger and onion. Stir fry for 1 minutes or until onion’s soften.
- Add chicken; break up chicken with spatula or wooden spoon to small pieces. Cook chicken until fully cooked and no juices in wok, about 6 to 8 minutes. (cook it longer if needed, you need to cook until there is no more juice in wok.) Stir frequently.
- Add water chestnuts and chicken stir fry sauce into wok. Toss everything together.
- When chicken has absorb sauce and has golden brown edges, stir in chili and green onion.
- Remove from heat and stir in sesame oil and seeds.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Garnish with fried glass noodles by breaking with your hand to make it smaller pieces. Serve with your favorite lettuce and sweet chili sauce. Enjoy!