What is it??
It’s Korean Chicken Feet.
You can eat Chicken FEET?!
I don’t know about you, but I LOVE chicken feet.
Chicken feet, Dakbal in Korean is not the most popular food or ingredients for people..
Probably because how they look and the image.. lol!
Honestly it’s not easy to eat if you are a beginner, but when you get to know this dish.. oh, man.
Nothing like chicken feet.
Where to buy chicken feet?
You can easily find chicken feet at your local Asian grocery stores in the fresh meat section or frozen meat section.
If you are lucky, you might able to find boneless chicken feet which is much easier to prepare (because you don’t have to cut the nails off! lol) and easier to eat!
If you don’t have Asian grocery stores near you, then ask your local butcher.
To prepare chicken feet, it seems like a lot of time consuming but to get the right flavor and texture, it is necessary.
Usually in Korea, we like our chicken feet to be fire hot! 🔥
But doesn’t meant you have to eat that way. Control the spicy amount to your taste so you can enjoy!
I love my chicken feet grilled at the end, so it’s nicely chard and has smokey flavor.
You can also broil them for the similar effect or even stir fry them in wok or a skillet with a bit of oil on a stove top.
Not a lot of restaurant makes this Korean chicken feet, so hopefully my recipe is helpful for some of you to enjoy it at home!
Let me know comment down below how you enjoyed them~!!
- 1 lb chicken feet
- 2 Tbs Korean coarse sea salt
- ½ cup soju, vodka or milk
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 small chunks ginger
- 1 to 9 Thai chili (as many as you wish, it’s optional.)
- 1 Tbs gochujang, Korean red pepper paste
- 2 Tbs gochugaru, Korean red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 Tbs mirin
- 1 Tbs oyster sauce
- 1 Tbs sugar
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- sesame oil
- sesame seeds
- chopped green onion
- Cut chicken feet nails one by one using a pair of kitchen scissors.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine nail-less chicken feet, coarse sea salt and soju. Give them a good massage for about 1 minute. Let it sit in same liquid for 10 to 20 minutes, then drain and wash in cold water at least 3 times.
- Bring water to boil in your steamer pot or a wok. Place a steamer liner on steamer and gently place clean chicken feet on top of steamer liner. Cover with a lid and steam for 1 hour or until chicken feet is fall-off-bone tender.
- Meanwhile make sauce by blending all ingredients for sauce in a hand blender. Set aside.
- Remove chicken feet form steamer and toss in sauce while it’s still hot so it will absorb flavor well. Use plastic glove if you’re using hands or a spoon.
Cover and let it cool completely in a refrigerator at least 2 hour to overnight.
- At this stage, you can choose either grill, broil or stove top cooking. Either way, all you need to do is cook them 4 to 5 minutes each side over medium high heat, (For stove top, please use a little bit of oil.) until they are reheated completely and have some char around edges.
- Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with sesame oil, sesame seeds and chopped green onion. Serve immediately and enjoy!